Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Fantasy vs. Reality

I have always loved teaching and felt a sense of balance working in a classroom. But as a work outside the home mom I admit that I use to fantasize about what I would do with all the extra time. I was laid off at the end of May and the timing was perfect. I enjoyed an action packed summer with family and friends. Our family of five spent 22 days visiting 11 states and covering somewhere around 5,000 miles. It was an amazing summer!


And then Big Yankee moved 1231 miles away.

And two monkeys went back to school.

And I met up with this beast I like to call REALITY.



Here is a glimpse into my fantasies and the reality that is being a stay at home mom. I may or may not have once referred to myself as a Stranded At Home Maniac.


WOHM: My house will be cleaner.
SAHM: We are home more which means more time to make messes. Additional messes means additional clean-up.

(not my actual house!)



WOHM: I will go grocery shopping on a Tuesday mid morning and it will be less crowded and less annoying.


SAHM: It is chock full of senior citizens lollygagging through the aisles and isolated moms trying to find something to do outside of their house (like me).

WOHM: I will volunteer at place that is dear to my heart. I will continue to make a positive impact on society.
SAHM: Trying to schedule the 4 hour volunteer orientation is impossible. There aren't any organizations that will let me volunteer with my 4 yr old and I have no money for childcare. I have no one to trade child care with because all my friends are working outside the home.

WOHM: I will have much more time for cooking (something I love to do) healthy, interesting new meals for my family.




SAHM: They will still complain "it tastes weird/I don't like __________ "and refuse to eat the meal I spent hours preparing.

WOHM: I will have much more time for the hobbies I enjoy.
SAHM: I won't be able to curl up with a book when there are piles of laundry to be folded and a sink full of dirty dishes.



WOHM: I will have more "me" time.
SAHM:  If hiding in the bathroom reading a book and saying "I'm busy. You REALLY don't want to come in here" is considered me time then yes I will have more opportunities for that sort of thing.

WOHM: I will be free of work-place drama & annoying people.






SAHM:  I will miss relationships with co-workers and being part of something bigger.


What are you fantasies? What is your reality?

2 comments:

The Preppy Girl in Pink said...

Robbie, You know I feel ya on this one. I am still torn between the whole WOHM and SAHM. Just trying to figure myself out in all of this mess leads me to want to stay under the covers some days.
Thankfully we have other bloggers we can share this all with!!

Megan said...

I admit, I don't think I could be a stay-at-home mom. Just the thought of all the cleaning makes me tired!