1. Summer 1988-It was the summer after my senior year of high school. My boyfriend and I had broken up (completely my fault) and I'm pretty sure I spent the entire summer regretting it. I spent my days working, tanning, and partying with friends. At the last minute I decided NOT to go to college as planned. At the very, very last minute I changed my mind and applied to the local university and took 10 hours the first semester while working full-time.
2. Summer 1991-I was a few months shy of 21 and I moved home for the summer and shared a house with some of my best high school friends. We had an insane amount of fun and thank our lucky stars that social media, cell phones, FaceBook were not even on the radar. I wish I could go into more detail but I gotta protect the guilty!
3. Summer 1995- Big Yankee and I met at a local watering hole. You can read his version of how we met here. When I gave him my phone number I didn't realize that he lived 1168 miles away! He came for a visit a few weeks later. I went to visit him in August and he took me to Las Vegas for the first time.
4. Summer 1999- Big Yankee and I tied the knot at a historic mansion on an swelteringly hot day in July. We spent the next few weeks traveling around the East Coast on our honeymoon. We stuffed ourselves with seafood, toured every brewery and winery we could find and hit as many state capitals as we could.
5. Summer 2001- I gave birth to my first child, Einstein in June. We had many out-of-state visitors and took full advantage of my maternity leave. We spent a weekend exploring San Diego and going to baseball games. We watched San Diego Padres Vs. Chicago Cubs and Anaheim Angels vs. Baltimore Orioles. It was Cal Ripken's last game in California.
6. Summer 2002- We traveled to the East coast for a wedding of 2 friends who had met at OUR wedding. It was a gorgeous outdoor wedding in the DC area. We spent 2 weeks exploring the area and trekking to upstate New York to introduce Einstein to our extended families and to visit. It makes my heart happy that Einstein spent some time with his Great Grandma (mine) and Great Grandpa (Big Yankee's) while he had the chance.
7. Summer 2003- I sent a not yet 2 year old Einstein and Big Yankee from the West Coast to the East Coast for a friend's wedding. Not 2 days later I had my first experience with pre-term labor. It was midnight & I didn't want to bother anyone since I CERTAIN it was nothing. They gave me some shots, stopped labor and told me to lay low for a few days. I took the day off work and laid around watching Big Brother and ordering pizza. I would drive myself back to the hospital the following night with more contractions and panicked because the reality of delivering a pre term baby all alone was a very real possibility. I spent six weeks on bed rest and my dad came from Oklahoma to California to care for Einstein. My mom, brother and sister and mother in law would all take their turns visiting and helping after my emergency c-section. We had house guests from June thru early September that year.
9. Summer 2007 -We had been living in Kansas for nearly 2 years when Big Yankee went back to get his Master's. He was in class all day and worked 2nd shift with an hour commute each way. We never saw him awake. Stinkbug was 6 months, Peanut was 3 1/2 and Einstein was 5 1/2. I was EXHAUSTED! I spent as much time as I could hanging out with friends at our neighborhood pool or being driveway divas.
10. Summer 2011-We loaded up in the Nissan Quest and embarked on a 29 day, 11 state, 5001 mile road trip! We visited family and friends all over and visited Idaho for the first time. It was an amazing, exhausting, memorable vacation.