Monday, September 9, 2013

In the Midst

To get up to speed read Looking Back.

I was in the midst of a move. Two friends and I had rented a white house with peeling paint and a porch swing close to campus. We'd pulled up the stinky beer drenched carpet and a talented friend refinished the wood floors. Annie had worked miracles in the kitchen with bleach and contact paper. 

We weren't really living there yet but I certainly didn't want Utah Man showing up at my parents house..where I had been holed up that past year..working and saving money. It never occurred to me that it might not be a good idea to give a random guy I met at a bar my address.

After work, I rushed around in our half assed house showering and getting prettied up. I wondered what he remembered about me..about how I looked. And wondered what the hell I was thinking when I agreed to see him again. I was also kicking myself for not having some kind of back up plan if things got dicey.

Once I was ready, I ran across the street to QuickTrip where all the clerks knew us by name. I picked up a twelve pack of cold beer to give the impression of being a good hostess but it's possible I shotgunned more than a few to take the edge off my nerves. 

He showed up on my doorstep and I invited him in. He was taller than I remembered and cuter too with dark brown eyes to match his thick dark hair. There was probably an awkward how do I greet the random guy I met at a bar who drove more than eleven hundred miles to see me moment. I don't remember all the details. I offered him a cold Coors Light, of that I am sure.

We hopped in his blue mustang and headed to THE restaurant everyone MUST eat at to in this college town. As the hostess led us to a table upstairs I waved at several people I knew but wanted to avoid. I don't remember what we ordered or even what we talked about. 

We eventually ended up back at the bar where we had met a month earlier. The Dog, as I called it, was my Cheers..everyone knew my name. Quite a few of them thought I worked there and I found no need to correct them.

Leaning up against the wooden rail surrounding the dance floor a cold beer in my hand and a towering dark stranger at my side was surreal. 

But I figured it was temporary.





4 comments:

Robin @ Farewell Stranger said...

Love these kinds of stories. :)

Robbie K said...

Thanks! I can't believe it has taken me this long to write it.

Natalie DeYoung said...

What a great story! I love the little details. :)

Robbie K said...

Thanks! It ha been fun to think back to that time.