Monday, December 12, 2011

Sick of sickness

I am so sick I couldn't even do a 5 minute brain dump for Stream of Consciousness Sunday :(

It is 1:45 and I haven't even showered. I managed to sleep 2 hours last night. I woke the monkeys up for school and laid down on the sofa trying to breath and prepared to cough up a lung. They had to make their own breakfasts and pack their own lunches. I managed to get them to school, came home and parked StinkBug in front of the tv. I told him to watch lots and lots of shows while Mommy rested in the other room. He came in a few times asking for some chocolate milk or help finding a show. I think I managed to sleep for about 3 hours. I am able to be upright for a few minutes at a time so I guess things have improved?

After a week or 2 of feeling like crap I finally sucked it up and went to the Walgreens Take Care clinic  last Thursday. I had barely slept the night before and my chest was hurting so bad and I was coughing horrendously for hours on end and I started thinking about what would happen to the kids if something were to happen to me. That freaked me out and I knew I had to go in.

 For the first time in my adult life I don't have any health insurance and it totally sucks! I had to spend $117 on medical care that I had planned on using for Christmas presents for the monkeys. The nurse practitioner was amazing and spent more time with me than some of my doctors did when I did have insurance. We talked about layoffs, difficulty finding work and how horrible it is to be without health insurance. She gave me several samples of the albuterol and called in the generic cough meds, told me to call back in a few days if I wasn't feeling better and they would call in an antibiotic and save me another visit. The pharmacy tech managed to find some discount card for me when she heard I didn't have insurance and she saved me nearly $20 on cough medicine and an inhaler. I am greateful for the kindness of strangers.

I am just not use to feeling this shitty for this long. Not being able to give my kids what they need. Being so worn out by a 15 minute trip to Walmart that I have to lay in bed for the next 2 hours. I have no back-up. No one who can take them for a few hours so I can sleep. Nowhere they can spend the night so I can take care of myself instead of using what little energy I have on everyone else. I have no one to take care of me.

What do you do when you are sick?






















This was my 5 minute Stream of Consciousness Sunday post. It’s five minutes of your time and a brain dump. Want to try it? Here are the rules…
  • Set a timer and write for 5 minutes only.
  • Write an intro to the post if you want but don’t edit the post. No proofreading or spellchecking. This is writing in the raw.
  • Publish it somewhere. Anywhere. The back door to your blog if you want. But make it accessible.
  • Add the Stream of Consciousness Sunday badge to your post.
  • Link up your post below.
  • Visit your fellow bloggers and show some love.


1 comment:

The Preppy Girl in Pink said...

Ok, what neighbors do I need to open a can of whoop a** on?! I know you take their kids. They should be helping you out! Bronchitis is nothing to mess with!!
I hope you get some rest, Robbie. Please take care of yourself! Big hugs!