Monday, November 21, 2011

Thankful I don't have a job!

When Einstein woke up at 8:05 am (Can I just say I LOVE late start Mondays? Cuz I do) asking for the thermometer I knew we were in trouble because:

1.) We can NEVER find the temperature taking device (although we have several placed strategically around the house for that very purpose). 

Note to self: Buy everyone a thermometer for stocking stuffer this year. Yes even one for the turtle and 2 fish.

b.) It's turkey day week which means 2 days of school. Which means if you are "sick" they think you are starting your vacation early and that Mother of the Year trophy keeps slipping further and further out of my reach.

I spend a few minutes searching frantically looking in logical places for one of the 43 thermometers we have while thinking to myself.

"Self, you really gotta convince your kid to go to school or you will definitely be handed your slacker mom ribbon (not even a trophy for slacker moms...b/c WTH will dust it or even make sure if gets out of the Nissan Quest before it is sucked into the black hole of mini vans?). Remember how you took the kids out for 4 days when Big Yankee came home? And how Halloween eve was all kinds of chaotic (and not because of trick or treating and sugar highs) and the kids didn't go to bed until 11 and you were going to take them in to school late but Einstein freaked out about going in late so you just said "what the hay we will take a mental health day?" And you know how the kids have been in school for 3 1/2 months and they have missed about 7 days. Umm, yeah that isn't doing anything for your Mother of the Year ratings.

I muster up my best concerned mommy voice and say "Well buddy, looks like you should go ahead and go to school since we can't find the blasted thermometer don't know if you have a fever. You can always go to the nurse if you feel bad."

He looks up with his big blue eyes and says "But I don't want to throw up at school again."

I nod sympathetically and place my hand on his forehead all the while explaining that it doesn't look good for him to stay home on the Monday of a 2 day week. 

"Besides," I say, "you don't feel ho..."

He promptly pushes my hand away and makes a mad dash to puke his guts out.

I am relieved that I am not scrambling around calling in to work, stressing about who is covering my classroom (Mondays are always the worst day to be gone when you teach..and Tuesdays, Wednesdays,.....). One of the perks of unemployment is that I don't worry myself sick about what I am going to do when I have sick kids.

What is your back-up plan for sick kids?


Kathy said...

Since my husband and I are lucky enough to work for a company that puts a high value on families and employee health, we play 'rock, paper, scissors' to decide who gets to stay home with the barfing kid.

The Preppy Girl in Pink said...

Oh no, I hope he is feeling better. Bean is still not 100% from being sick on Friday.
My back up plan when I was working was always my parents. Thankfully, they live close and are always happy to help. If they weren't around, I reached out to anyone and everyone and if they couldn't do it, I either begged and pleaded to work from home or I pulled out the "I just can't make it all work today. Sorry, hopefully I will be in tomorrow". Then the phone would ring the whole day and I would have a ton of emails on my phone even though I was using a sick day!!

Natalie said...

I hate having sick kids!! It throws everything off.

Thanks for stopping today. In case you don't know, your email isn't set up for your blog so I couldn't reply to your comment. : (

Robbie K said...

@ are VERY lucky! When i worked we had to have a back up plan for child care...umm I am my back-up plan! Do you and DH work for same company?

Robbie K said...

@ Preppy Girl (since I can't remember if you spell your name in or en)

You are lucky to have your parents so close by! When Dh and I worked different shifts we were able to tag team. He could usually go in an hour late and I could leave an hour early since it was my planning time. When he started working normal hours we had duke it out!