Monday, January 23, 2012

Monday Memories Part 1

Five years ago January 22 was on a of the most frustrating, exasperating Mondays of my life.

I remember this because it was my last full day of pregnancy with what was to be my last child.

I had worked all day the previous Friday..prepping my classroom, putting the finishing touches on lesson plans and making sure my assistant was ready for my three month maternity leave. Friday night I waddled around the elementary school for Family Fun night trying to keep up with my kindergarten son and 3 1/2 year old daughter. Big Yankee was at work, as was his schedule in those days.

I was dripping with sweat, despite the snow on the ground and frigid temperatures. The contractions were becoming more intense and I was completely miserable but I had signed up for a shift at one of the game booths and I felt certain there would be a chair. I ended up with bowling...setting up pins time after time, chasing  delinquent bowling balls across the pod. Ironic, since I was carrying a gargantuan bowling ball in my belly. Luckily my monkeys were more than happy to do most of the grunt work.

The rest of the weekend is a bit of a blur. More than likely Big Yankee worked Saturday and possibly Sunday.  I doubt the monkeys and I left the house...too much work. Sleeping was but a memory. I had to use a stool to hoist my pregnant self into our high canopied bed. At some point during my pregnancy I sweetly persuaded forced Big Yankee to trade sides of the bed so I could be closer to the bathroom since I seemed to visit it every hour. Rolling over required a three point turn with breaks in between to catch my breath and muster up the strength.

Anyway back to dissecting my miserable Monday. For some unknown reason I had a dentist appointment scheduled at the crack of dawn. One of the very last chances I would have to sleep in for months--or even years and I was scheduled for torture by tooth polisher. It took every ounce of energy to shower and make myself presentable for the day. Someone screwed up the appointments and I wasn't actually on the schedule...despite the message they had left on Friday confirming my appointment. I was irritated but they suggested we reschedule.

I politely stated, "I'm giving birth to my third child tomorrow so if I can't be seen today it will probably be another 6-8 months before I can get back in here."

They promptly made arrangements for me to come back in a few hours. I rushed home (as much as a ready to pop woman of advanced maternal age can rush) hoping to manage a nap since I had barely slept the night before. I would just start to doze off and the phone would ring or Big Yankee and Peanut would come upstairs, snapping me out of my near sleep stage. Clearly I was not meant to sleep.

I headed BACK to the dentist even crankier than before. Someone once again dropped the ball. It turns out my insurance only covers cleanings EVERY six months not TWICE a year. They'd be happy to clean my teeth but I would have to pay out of pocket or I could come back in 2 weeks. Umm having a baby NOT going to happen. I was pissed and tired and this was NOT how I planned to spend my last day as a mom of two.


Paula@lkg4sweetspot said...

ah well, going to the dentist always makes me cranky!! Preggo belly or not. That was definitely a bad Monday!

Diane said...

The dentist ALWAYS has that effect on me. Not having any dental insurance does not help... I had to have two root canals last year and while I have bought one of the crowns, I still have one yet to buy. One thousand dollars per root canal and another one thousand dollars per crown! Uggh!!!

Robbie K said...

I actually don't HATE going to the dentist but I do despise being inconvenienced :)

Robbie K said...

Wow...that is painful! both physically and to the wallet!

Jennifer said...

That does NOT sound like fun, but then I would have never scheduled a tooth cleaning that close to giving birth... or volunteered to do anything. What nutcase put a full term pregnant woman on bowling duty? Jerkwad.

Robbie K said...

I am thinking I must have totally lost my mind by that point. I only missed one day of work while preggo and that was b/c I had been admitted for preterm labor...was trying to save up all my time for maternity. At least that's my excuse for such insane decisions...