Saturday, January 21, 2012

SOC/Sunday Mornings

 This week's Prompt: How did you spend your Sunday mornings growing up? What are some of your favorite memories?

Near the end of third grade my best friend's dad died and my life changed dramatically.

I am sure we went to church before that as I remember Sunday School, choir and some weekday activity we attended. However my most vivid Sunday memories are of those between third and fifth grade. We were always ALWAYS spending the night at each other's houses. We thought we were all grown up wearing pantyhose with our dresses. I don't actually remember church itself just that we would all go to her house afterwards. Her mom made us all ham sandwiches on white bread with mustard on one slice and mayonnaise on the other. We ate Lay's Potato Chips and drank coke from ice filled glasses. My sister, brother, best friend and I would pretend like we were at a restaurant as they had the coolest booth with black plether covering the bench. We would gulp down our food and run to play school or gymnastics or college. We made class lists, practiced routines or smoked Crayolas depending on what we were playing. Our moms would sip Tab and Coke smoking their Bel Airs and Benson and Hedges and talk and talk and talk. They never seemed to stop talking. We would stay until dinner time and often they would still be talking as we piled into the station wagon.

They moved at the end of fifth grade and I have never eaten another ham sandwich. I can't stand to eat ham.

This was my 5 minute Stream of Consciousness Sunday post. It’s five minutes of your time and a brain dump. Want to try it? Here are the rules…
  • Set a timer and write for 5 minutes.
  • Write an intro to the post if you want but don’t edit the post. No proofreading or spellchecking. This is writing in the raw.
  • Publish it somewhere. Anywhere. The back door to your blog if you want. But make it accessible.
  • Add the Stream of Consciousness Sunday badge to your post.
  • Link up your post below.
  • Visit your fellow bloggers and show some love.

8 comments:

Erin O'Riordan said...

It's funny that you remember the food so specifically - and the brands of all the cigarettes.

As I recall, I wasn't typically allowed to have Saturday night sleepovers because of church. Since I went to Catholic school and so did all of my friends, Friday was our sleepover night, and Sunday was for church with the family. I do remember going to church with my friend Amy and her grandma once.

all.things.fadra said...

As a fellow forty something, this sounds all too familiar. Some days I miss white bread and potato and Coke. We have to worry about it all now.

LDiggitty said...

I never understood why grown-ups could talk so much, either! Now I get it... ;)

Kallay said...

This made me hungry for Wonder Bread, Bologna, American, mayo, and mustard. Nom nom.

I always used to listen to my mom's conversations, hoping to hear something good about me. Alas, I was never the center of their talking. :)

Unknown said...

Isn't it amazing how much food plays a role in our memories. Although I have to say that I'm amazed that you haven't had ham since.

Robbie K said...

I still drink coke...inherited from my mother I say.

Robbie K said...

I remember alternating between trying to listen in on them and being annoyed that they were STILL talking. We just couldn't wrap our heads around them having so much to say. I mean they were MOMS!

Robbie K said...

Ham grossed me out. I wonder if I even liked it then or if I was just too polite to ask for anything else.