Wednesday, March 7, 2012

End the R Word

 
When I found out today was the official day of the End the R-Word campaign I knew I had to write something for Bret. 

He was my cousin with shiny black hair that I envied, who could build breathtaking, towering houses out of cards.

My cousin who loved The Fonz and Snoopy and friends.

My cousin who loved country music and playing HORSE and basketball games with my mom.

My cousin whose brothers would get bloody noses and black eyes and be kicked off the bus because they were defending him. 

My cousin who was called the R word by ignorant, cruel, mean spirited people.

My aunt's youngest son who died more than seven years ago. 

It is more than just a word. It is hurtful and demeaning. Stop using it and spread the word to end the word.

My sister made the most amazing memory book as a gift for my aunt and asked us to share stories, memories and pictures. 




All I Really Need to Know I learned from Bret 

Hug Everyone. 

Be proud of you accomplishments.

Don't be afraid to cry. 

Make everyone feel special and important.

 

Make the world a better place simply by being yourself. 

Let your family and friends know how much you love them.

Build something wonderful, complex and elaborate and when if it comes crashing down just pick up the pieces and start again. 

Always remember people's birthdays.

 

Take good care of the people in your life and they will take good care of  you. 

Everyone needs a thumbs up from someone. 

9 comments:

The Preppy Girl in Pink said...

What a very thoughtful gift of rememberance for your Aunt.
My girls have never been allowed to call anyone that word. They are even smart enough and strong enough to call out other kids at school, sports, etc. that use it.
I hope that this movement picks up the steam it deserves and people will finally see how very hurtful this word is.

Bridget said...

Perfect life lessons! Thank you for sharing them.

Kristen said...

Love it! Perfect post. I love the lessons and I love the tribute. You know this cuts strait to my heart. xo friend

Ellen Seidman said...

Beautiful. These are the sort of posts that really help people understand how hurtful the word is.

Robbie K said...

Thank you! I think seeing the person behind the word makes a difference, don't you?

Robbie K said...

Thanks! I shed more than a few tears as I wrote it.

Robbie K said...

He certainly taught me some important life lessons.

Robbie K said...

Glad to hear that word isn't allowed on your family. Also pretty amazing that they are willing to stand up to others when they hear it. That's exactly what is needed to end the use of such a hurtful word.

Anonymous said...

I love this. For many reasons.