Sunday, June 17, 2012

Counting the Days

Twenty two days.

That's how long we've lived here.

I'm sure at some point we will start measuring it in weeks and months-kind of like measuring an infants age.

Eventually we will struggle to remember the details.

"Remember when we moved across country in 2012? It was in the summer right? May or was it June?"

Big Yankee remarked that he feels like we are on vacation.

The kids are out of school and I've been attending work trainings sporadically.

We aren't over scheduled or tied down by commitments.

It feels a bit like living in a hotel.

This house is much newer than the one we left --by six to ten years.

It is much smaller too-about half the size and a single story.

Many of our belongings didn't make it here yet which adds to the "hotel" like feeling.

There are always clean towels.

They aren't any playdates or ball practices.

No swimming lessons or birthday parties to attend.

No running into anyone we know at the library programs or the park down the street.

Our doorbell and phones aren't ringing.

We may be isolated but our family is together again.

And that is what's most important right now.




5 comments:

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

I moved many times when I was married and I know these feelings of which you speak... the weird loneliness of not having social attachments yet that makes you closer as a family and the trying to situate your "stuff" to make the new place feel more like home.

Angelia Sims said...

It almost sounds TOO quiet! But I know it won't be long before the household is bustling and you will miss the newness of it all!

It's been two years and most of my stuff is still in storage since I moved in with my husband. FINALLY, it is starting to feel like MY home too. I think that means I need to dump the stuff in storage. :-)

Fritter said...

It will change soon. I know it will. And then you will wish for quiet once again :)

The Preppy Girl in Pink said...

Yes, all together again is so very important. Moving at the start of summer is hard because the kids don't have an outlet like school to introduce them into the mix of things but it will come soon...maybe with even a bike ride or stroll down the street.

Pish Posh said...

Sounds okay to me! Made any friends yet? Haha in 22 days. Just kidding.

I bet 2 months from now all will feel more settled when school starts. Enjoy your vacation.

It is 106-110 degrees here all week. I hope it's cooler than that where you are! :)