Sunday, August 21, 2011

First Day of School

Today I sent my daughter off to third grade and my oldest son to fifth grade. It is the first day of school and first time Yankee hasn't been here to be a part of it. Sassy Peanut woke up at 5:07 thanks to nerves and a rumbling stomach. She was thoughtful enough to wake me up at 6:01 to inform me that she couldn't sleep. Umm yeah I didn't need to know that thanks. What I needed was sleep! Son #1 was unusually cooperative and fast but refused to eat breakfast. I then explained to him that he wouldn't be able to stroll over to the pantry and eat 3 bags of microwave popcorn before lunch. Naturally he knows more than me -as all ten year olds do. He was quite disgruntled when I denied him computer privileges unless he at least choked down a granola bar. We managed to get out the door without yelling and even took the requisite first day of school pictures.

Stinkbug (age 4) reminisced about the time I was at work and he and Grandpa picked the kids up early...never mind that it was a scheduled early release day.

"Momma, one time when you were at work and Daddy was at work and Grandpa was here we got the kids at 10 o'clock. We REALLY did and it's okay because Grandpa said we could."

My heart broke a little bit for him and then I quickly went into distraction mode listing ALL of the cool things we could do while brother and sister are in school. He seemed unimpressed by trips to the grocery store and forget about the library (I HATE the library! You have to be quiet there) but when I mentioned trains and Little People and trips to the park he did his trademark fist pump and OH YEAH and all was right with the world. At least until we run out of strawberry milk.

No comments: