Friday, October 7, 2011

Things I've Learned While Unemployed

1. I don't HATE painting. In fact, I kinda LOVE it. Mind you I have only painted a bathroom but I had to remove hideous wallpaper (which I also kinda enjoyed) and it took 3 coats. It is amazing what one can enjoy when one has a seemingly infinite amount of time to accomplish a task.

2. I LIKE working in my yard/flower beds. I am not growing anything yet but not killing anything either! I feel a sense of accomplishment when pulling out weeds and using large, sharp tools for trimming tree limbs, pulling out dying rose bushes etc. 

3.Keeping a house show ready is possible and dare I say enjoyable? Again back to having lots of time to accomplish things. When this place finally sells and we have a new humble abode I might even pretend that it is for sale so that my house will be immaculate.

4. I can feed a family of 4 for 2 weeks on $120. We had to forgo the steaks and lobster but we managed. I hope not to be in this situation for much longer but it is amazing the $$ one can save when there just isn't any $$.

5. This not going to a job thing is  a wild roller coaster ride. I have been working since I was 15 1/2, babysitting since I was 11. This is the LONGEST STRETCH of time I have not worked for a paycheck. Some days I love it and think "wow I could get use to this!" Other days I strongly consider a career change and practice saying "Would you like fries with that?" Work is a break from my momma to 3 monkeys life, it is where I do lots and lots of socializing, where I am part of something bigger, a team player. Though right now this is where I need to be...single parent to 3 monkeys, missing my hubs of 12 years, and hoping our house sells soon.

1 comment:

The Preppy Girl in Pink said...

We moved three years ago and when our previous house was on the market, I was GIDDY with how it looked in its "show ready" state...GIDDY!!!