1. First time I saw Big Yankee- He was playing pool in a bar and called me over on my way to the bathroom.
2. First thing I said to him: You know how I know you are lying? Your lips are moving.
3. First time he called me: I was on my way to the movies with a friend. I had forgotten his name so I called him Utah Man.
4. First time I realized he lived 1165 miles away: When I saw caller ID said Salt Lake City.
5. First "date": He came back a few weeks later to visit me under the guise of visiting a high school friend who lived in the same state. We went to penny beer at the bar where we met and I wouldn't let him hold my hand.
6. First Vacation: We went to Vegas during the first trip I made out to Utah. I kept confusing Las Vegas and Los Angeles since I had never been to either. I had also fallen down and sprained my ankle while carrying a three year old. My legs were super unsexy with cuts and bruises and scabs on my knees as if I was learning to ride a bike.
7. First (and only) time Big Yankee proposed: Thanksgiving Weekend 1998 in Palm Springs, Ca.
8. First Time we were in a car accident together: It was July 5, 1999 and we were on our honeymoon. We were driving through Sandwich, Massachusetts when we were rear ended and driven into a tree. Our rental car was totaled and we spent about six hours at a Dunkin Donuts next to the Sandwich Police Department waiting for a new rental car out of Boston. This is pre-cell phone, laptops etc. It's as miserable as it sounds.
9. First place we lived together: We fondly called it the one room shanty. It was a studio apartment in the desert wastelands of California. The owner of the convenient store behind our complex was stabbed one night while I was home alone.