Thursday, July 5, 2012

PYHO: Wasting time

I haven't made good use of my time lately and now I feel guilty about it.


I spent most of the past few months a ball of stress between solo parenting for the past eighteen months, living 1200+ miles away from Big Yankee, selling our house, leaving itmoving across country, going back to work and the list goes on.....

My time hasn't been my own for an extremely long time and now that I have some breathing room I'm being a bit selfish with it.

On the one hand, I feel like I've more than "earned it". On the other, I feel like I don't deserve this down time because there's so much more to be done.

Our garage if full of boxes that still need unpacking and I'm sure there's some purging I could do. At some point packing became code for dump crap in boxes and tape it shut.

Of course, the laundry, cooking, errands, cleaning, & entertaining children tasks that are the vicious cycle of parenting are still there begging for attention.

Today my biggest accomplishment has been to shower, watch some work training videos and surf the internet under the guise of "menu planing." After spending July 4th out of town and outside the kids are more than content to hang around the house playing, reading and watching too much tv.

I imagine I will make up for it tomorrow by being uber productive mom/wife/employee but I'd like to be a bum without drowning in guilt.

How do you deal with the guilt of slacker mom days?


10 comments:

@dkotucker said...

I throw in some laundry.
Clean underwear = something accomplished.

I've been having more than a few of these days myself. At least everyone has clean clothes. Tee hee.

Jennifer said...

I just keep telling myself that I deserve it. And then I usually beat myself up about it.

Galit Breen said...

Oh those days are son try important! We all need them. Passing you chocolate and wine from here - enjoy, mama!

Bridget said...

You deserve the downtime for sure, but I understand the guilt. Wine helps, preferably in large quantities.

Robbie K said...

ahh so we're just alike.

Robbie K said...

does it still count if I forget about them and have to re-wash b/c they sat in the washer for a few days? Asking for a friend.

Robbie K said...

Two of my favorite things-thanks. Now what to do with the guilt?

Robbie K said...

I knew there was a good reason I like you...besides wine of course!

Robin @ Farewell, Stranger said...

I'm right there with you - I was like that a lot after we moved. I say let it be for now and when you're ready to deal with the stuff it will be easier to do.

Robbie K said...

Thanks and I think you're right that I need some transition time.